Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Persepolis Reaction

After reading the first half of Persepolis, I have found Satripi's graphic novel to contain many interesting elements. For me, the most interesting element of the story is reading about another culture in a crisis. This time in Marji's life is a very influential one and I found it particularly interesting to follow. It is something that I have very little knowledge in.  I think that my lack of knowledge in this subject only contributes to the naive narration of Marji. I also enjoyed the reading experience of Persepolis. The graphic element of the story really helps the reader understand things that only words couldn't. I also like the quick flow of the story. The panels really help the reader get into the pace of the book. I would recommend that Persepolis remains part of the curriculum in College Lit. Graphic novels are really on the rise and it would be a shame to leave McFarland High School without ever being taught one. It is a reading experience all of its own and I believe that it should be taught in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I also thought reading about another culture during a time of crisis was very interesting. Especially because we learned a lot about how different it is there than it is here. As you had said, it also demonstrated how naive Marji is, which I believe is something that all of us can connect to. It's interesting to be able to connect to a book that is from another culture and going through such different hardships than us. I guess it goes to show that we are a lot alike for being so different.

    ReplyDelete