Sunday, January 16, 2011

I am the Messenger

For the choice novel unit, I read I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak.  It is the same author that wrote The Book Theif, for those who read that book. Zusak is from Australia so his writing style is a little different, but I think that this only ads to the book. I think that he does a particularly good job of appealing to a wide audience. Not only does it appeal to young readers, but it also appeals to older audiences as well. Zusak adds so many nuances that even an advanced reader will find this book interesting. The humor and suspense are elements that readers of all levels will enjoy. I am the Messenger has continued to prove why it won the Pulitzer Prize. Markus Zusak did a brilliant job of depicting Ed's influential journey. I loved how Zusak taught the reader 12 individual messages while sticking to the overall themes. I know that not everyone in our class got to read I am the Messenger, but I would highly recommend it to any one who didn't read it for class.

2 comments:

  1. You make it sound really good. I'd be interested to hear how the messages applied to you and what you got from them? Sounds like a book that really teaches teenagers a lot (or so I've heard). But I've never really heard what these supposed lessons were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I Am the Messenger was an outstanding book. Like you said, not only did Ed deliver 12 messages, but he also gave one big message that wrapped up the book. I really liked this book and actually looked forward to reading it. It has been my favorite so far this quarter and would definitely recommend it.

    ReplyDelete