Sunday, December 5, 2010

Ghost World Reaction

After watching Ghost World this week, I found it to, overall, be a pretty good movie. I had never heard of Ghost World before this week, much less seen it, and I thought the critics got it right. The girls' egotistical and almost Gothic approach to life, makes the viewer almost hate the two main characters at the beginning. This is one element of the movie that was extremely bold, but seemed to pay off at the end. Not many producers will create main charters that the viewer hates, but Zwigoff did it and did it well. I think that because we hate the Enid and Rebbecca at the start, we like them more at the end. The way Enid grows throughout the movie really reminds me of Holden's growth. They both start out as misguided teens that have very few positive things in life, but by the end of their stories they have grown up and started adulthood.

Like Catcher, Ghost World leaves many unanswered questions. Where does Enid go to on that bus? Do Enid and Seymour meet up again? Do Rebbecca and Enid ever meet back up? The viewer can't answer these answers. They can only speculate and I think that is what makes it so successful. As we saw in Catcher in the Rye, and open interpretation only enhances our opinions of the story because we can think what we want. In the end, Ghost World was a success to me because of its likability of its characters and its open ending.

7 comments:

  1. Right on. I thought it was a pretty good movie as well. Steve Buscemi is one of my favorite actors, so that made the film even more enjoyable for me. I, like you, did not know about Ghost World. There were many parts that were like the Catcher in the Rye. The main character's attitude and dialouge was very similar to Holden's. It was really fun seeing all of the connections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Ross, I totally agree. I loved the ambigious ending of Catcher in the Rye, and I think that Ghost World perfectly emulated that (if that's what it was going for). Either way I loved the ending of Ghost World.

    I, too, enjoyed the movie. The satirical comedic approach toward adolescence was especially intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you too Ross. Although it wasn't a very action filled movie the story and the theme behind it made it pretty enjoyable. I thought the director got the characters perfect because they weren't your usual characters that you see in other movies. I also agree with you when you talk about the connections between ghost world and the catcher in the rye because they both have a lot of things in common with eachother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of you! The movie and Catcher in the rye had so many things in common, like rachel said if that is what the director was getting at. Both of the endings leave it up to you to interpret and wonder what really happened. Also Jacob, I agree with you about not having a lot of action in the movie but contained a great theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. this movie leaves a lot of thing open in the end with what happened to the main charters just as The Catcher in the Rye did in the beginning part of the book.I think that this movie was a very unique film. Glad we got to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would also agree with everyone else, especially you ross. I observed that the book and the movie had many similarities. Even though they were not very action filled, like Jacob said, they still were very enjoyable to read and watch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, again, would like to agree with all of you. As to some of the questions Ross brings up, I would like to propose some answers. I think that Enid getting on the bus symbolized her dying. As depressing as it is, it's the only plausible explanation for it as i can see. Also, since the only other person to get on the bus was the old mna, it reinforces more my evidence. That being said, i don't think Enid and Seymour meet again and neither do her and Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete