Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mark Chapman Inspiration

Upon a deeper investigation of Mark Chapman's assassination of John Lennon, there are many references to The Catcher in the Rye throughout his life and the assassination. He was introduced to the book by a friend and since the first time he read it he took a strong interest in it. Chapman became obsessed with Holden and his ideas. At one point he even considered changing his name to Holden. After he shot John Lennon on December 6, 1980 he didn't act as many would expect. He sat down, pulled out his copy of Catcher and the Rye and read it until the police showed up. I think one of the most interesting connections to the book came in an interview with Chapman. Chapman said that  "He knew where the ducks went in winter, and I needed to know this." I made a connection to the repetition of this motif as well. I know this book has met severe opposition for a long time partly because of its seemingly bad influence on people. Although I haven't finished reading the book yet, I still disagree with those who are against this book. It may have a history of inspiring opposition to authority, but I believe that only already mentally unstable people would go as far as Chapman did and the book should never be banned.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I knew someone would blog about this murder! All of them are super intersting, but it is crazy that The Catcher in the Rye could've influenced the death of such a large name like, John Lennon. It is funny because the killer that I researched, Robert Bardo, found out later that he wasn't the first one to admire the book to the point of killing someone(some people).

    ReplyDelete